Топ-100

ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 35




                                               

Alexis, Alabama

A post office called Alexis was established in 1884, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1906. Alexis is the Anglicization of a Cherokee name, according to local history.

                                               

Alfalfa, Alabama

Alfalfa was an unincorporated community in Marengo County, Alabama, United States. It has since been annexed into the adjacent city of Demopolis. Alfalfa had a post office at one time, but it no longer exists.

                                               

Allenton, Alabama

The beat precinct containing Allenton first appeared on the 1870 U.S. Census as Allenton-9th Beat of Wilcox County. It continued to report as the 9th precinct until 1950. In 1960, the precincts were merged and/or reorganized into census divisions ...

                                               

Almond, Alabama

The community was most likely named for its first postmaster, Almond P. Hunter. A post office called Almond was established in 1852, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1913.

                                               

Alpine, Talladega County, Alabama

Alpine is an unincorporated community in Talladega County, Alabama, United States, located southwest of Talladega and northwest of Childersburg. It is known to Alabama residents as the site of YMCA Camp Cosby. The community gained its name from A ...

                                               

Alton, Alabama

Alton is an unincorporated community in Jefferson County, Alabama, United States. Alton is located along Interstate 459, 10 miles east-northeast of downtown Birmingham. Alton has a post office with ZIP code 35015. Part of the community has been a ...

                                               

Anderson, Etowah County, Alabama

Anderson, also known as Anderson Crossroad or Anderson Crossing, is an unincorporated community in Etowah County, Alabama, United States, located 2 miles northeast of Gadsden on U.S. Route 411. Although its boundaries arent explicitly defined, as ...

                                               

Anne Manie, Alabama

Anne Manie, sometimes spelled Annemanie, is an unincorporated community in Wilcox County, Alabama, United States. The community had a post office, with postmasters appointed from 1924 to 1964.

                                               

Antioch, Bibb County, Alabama

Antioch is an unincorporated community in Bibb County, Alabama, United States, located west of Randolph along Bibb County Road 20. It is home to several churches, including Antioch Baptist Church, the communitys namesake, which formed in 1833. Bu ...

                                               

Antioch, Clarke County, Alabama

Antioch is a small unincorporated community in Clarke County, Alabama, United States, located south of Grove Hill along US Highway 43. It has several small churches and a fire department.

                                               

Antioch, Covington County, Alabama

The community was originally called Hilton, then the name was changed to Antioch. The community was likely named after the local Antioch Church, which was in turn named for the ancient city. A post office operated under the name Hilton from 1882 ...

                                               

Arbacoochee, Alabama

Arbacoochee was named after the old Creek Indian village of "Abihkuchi", which translates to "a pile at the base." Gold was discovered here in 1832, and the local mines produced over $5.000.000 worth of gold. In 1845, Arbacoochee had a population ...

                                               

Ardilla, Alabama

Ardilla is an unincorporated community in Houston County, Alabama, United States. Ardilla is located along U.S. Route 84, 15.2 miles east-southeast of Dothan.

                                               

Argo, Walker County, Alabama

Argo is an unincorporated community in Walker County, Alabama, United States. Argo is located on U.S. Route 78, 4.7 miles northwest of Sumiton.

                                               

Arguta, Alabama

Arguta was named after Argura, North Carolina, an unincorporated community in Jackson County. A post office operated under the name Arguta from 1891 to 1906.

                                               

Arkwright, Alabama

Arkwright was an unincorporated community in Shelby County, Alabama, United States. The community lies near the banks of the Coosa River and is now within the city limits of Vincent. Arkwright was founded in 1907 and was named for Preston Stanley ...

                                               

Asbury, Alabama

Asbury is an unincorporated community located on Sand Mountain in eastern Marshall County, Alabama, United States. It is located about nine miles east of the county seat of Guntersville. The community was named after a Methodist church, which was ...

                                               

Augustin, Alabama

Augustin is an unincorporated community in Perry County, Alabama, United States. A post office operated under the name Augustin from 1883 to 1943. Geologist George Perkins Merrill described a meteorite held in the National Museum of Natural Histo ...

                                               

Bacon Level, Alabama

Bacon Level is an unincorporated community located 3–4 miles southeast of Roanoke, in Randolph County, Alabama, United States. Nearby churches include Bacon Level Baptist Church.

                                               

Bailey Springs, Alabama

A post office was established at Bailey Springs in 1854, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1901. The community was named for Jonathan Bailey, who started a resort on several mineral springs. The spring waters here have been c ...

                                               

Balkum, Alabama

Balkum is named after James Whitfield Balkum, who settled the area in 1870. Balkum Baptist Church and Balkum Methodist Church were both constructed in 1887. The Balkum Cemetery is adjacent to Balkum Baptist Church. The Balkum schoolhouse stood no ...

                                               

Ballplay, Alabama

Ballplay is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Etowah County, Alabama, United States. Its population was 1.580 as of the 2010 census.

                                               

Bankston, Alabama

Bankston is an unincorporated community in Fayette County, Alabama, United States. Bankston is located on U.S. Route 43, 10.6 miles east of Fayette.

                                               

Barlow Bend, Alabama

Barlow Bend is an unincorporated community in Clarke County, Alabama, United States. It is the birthplace of Frank Howard, a college football player and head coach of the Clemson Tigers football team from 1940 to 1969. The first church building i ...

                                               

Barnes, Alabama

Barnes, also known as Barnes Cross Roads or Burns, is an unincorporated community in Dale County, Alabama, United States. Barnes is located on Alabama State Route 123, 4.6 miles south-southeast of Ariton.

                                               

Barnwell, Alabama

Barnwell is an unincorporated community in Baldwin County, Alabama, United States. It is located along US 98 in the southern part of the county. Some municipal services are provided by Fairhope. Barnwell is designated by the USGS as a populated p ...

                                               

Bashi, Alabama

Bashi is an unincorporated community in Clarke County, Alabama, United States. It takes its name from the nearby Bashi Creek that flows westward into the Tombigbee River.

                                               

Basin, Alabama

Basin is an unincorporated community in Coffee County, Alabama, United States. Basin is located along Alabama State Route 189, 6.2 miles southwest of Elba.

                                               

Bass, Alabama

Bass, originally known as Bass Station, was the site of a station along the Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis Railway NC&amp,StL, built in 1853. The name Bass was chosen by Vernon King Stevenson, president of NC&amp,StL, in honor of his wife, ...

                                               

Batesville, Alabama

Batesville was named after the plantation of William Michael Bates, who moved to the area from South Carolina in 1845. A post office operated under the name Batesville from 1854 to 1942. Fort Browder, a small wooden fortress was built around Bate ...

                                               

Battens Crossroads, Alabama

Battens Crossroads, also known as Union Academy, is an unincorporated community in Coffee County, Alabama, United States. Battens Crossroads is located along Alabama State Route 27, 13.9 miles southeast of Elba.

                                               

Battles Wharf, Alabama

Battles Wharf, formerly known as Yarborough, Dadeville, Battles, and Narcissus, is an unincorporated community in Baldwin County, Alabama, United States.

                                               

Bazemore, Alabama

Bazemore is a small community located in northern Fayette County, Alabama, United States, near the Marion and Walker County lines, approximately three miles south of I-22. The community is situated at the head of the Sipsey River where New River ...

                                               

Beaty Crossroads, Alabama

Beaty Crossroads is an unincorporated community on Sand Mountain in northern DeKalb County, Alabama, United States. It is located within the town limits of Ider at the intersection of Alabama Highway 75 and Alabama Highway 117.

                                               

Beaver Creek, Alabama

Beaver Creek is an unincorporated community in Marengo County, Alabama, United States. Its name is derived from the nearby Beaver Creek and the local church, Beaver Creek Baptist Church. Beaver Creek had a school at one time, but it was consolida ...

                                               

Beck, Alabama

The community was likely named for the Beck family, who lived in the area. A post office operated under the name Beck from 1898 to 1904. Beck was once home to a general store, gristmill, and automotive garage.

                                               

Beda, Alabama

Beda is an unincorporated community in Covington County, Alabama, United States. Beda is located on Alabama State Route 137, 18.2 miles south-southeast of Andalusia. The community lies entirely within the Conecuh National Forest.

                                               

Bee Hive, Alabama

Bee Hive, also spelled Beehive, is an unincorporated community in Lee County, Alabama, United States. It is part of the Columbus, Georgia-Alabama Metropolitan Area. Originally named for an apiary located along Wire Road near the Macon County line ...

                                               

Belforest, Alabama

Belforest is a small, unincorporated community in Baldwin County, Alabama, United States. Belforest is located on Alabama State Route 181, 2.9 miles east of Daphne.

                                               

Bellamy, Alabama

Bellamy is a census-designated place and unincorporated community in Sumter County, Alabama, United States. Its population was 543 as of the 2010 census.

                                               

Belle Fontaine, Alabama

Belle Fontaine) is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Mobile County, Alabama, United States, on the western shore of Mobile Bay. It is located south of the city of Mobile, along the stretch of shore between Deer River and ...

                                               

Belle Mina, Alabama

The community of Belle Mina was named for the plantation of the same name that belonged to Governor Thomas Bibb, the second governor of the state of Alabama. It was originally called "Belle Manor", but because of southern pronunciation, the spell ...

                                               

Bellwood, Alabama

Bellwood is an unincorporated community in Geneva County, Alabama, United States. Bellwood is located on Alabama State Route 85, 10.5 miles north-northeast of Geneva. Bellwood has a post office with ZIP code 36313.

                                               

Bemiston, Alabama

Bemiston is an unincorporated community and former company town in Talladega County, Alabama, United States. Bemiston now lies within the city limits of Talladega.

                                               

Bermuda, Alabama

The community is likely named after Bermudagrass, which was tested in the area. The U.S. Department of Agriculture, Weather Bureau, Alabama Section, operated a weather station in Bermuda. Jeremiah Austill, who participated in the Canoe Fight duri ...

                                               

Bertha, Alabama

Bertha is also the site of an annual food, music, and entertainment festival known as the "Bertha Pig Roast." Held each March, the event began as a small cookout in 1996, but it has grown into a weekend-long extravaganza featuring the local food, ...

                                               

Beulah, Alabama

Beulah is an unincorporated community in the northeast corner of Lee County, Alabama, United States, just south of Valley. It is part of the Columbus, Georgia-Alabama Metropolitan Area. It is bounded by Chambers County on the north, the Chattahoo ...

                                               

Big Cove, Alabama

Big Cove is an unincorporated community in Madison County, Alabama, United States. It is located roughly seven miles southeast of downtown Huntsville. Big Cove is located close to the quickly-growing Hampton Cove community.

                                               

Billy Goat Hill, Alabama

Billy Goat Hill is an unincorporated community in Cherokee County, Alabama, cUnited States. Goat hill was known for its unusual name.

                                               

Black Bottom, Alabama

Black Bottom is an unincorporated community in Cullman County, Alabama, United States, located near the junction of Interstate 65 and Alabama State Route 91, 2.4 miles east of Colony. Black bottom was known for his unusual name.