Топ-100

ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 360




                                               

Luray, Kansas

Luray was established as the community of Lura in the 1870s. In 1887, the spelling of the towns name was changed to Luray. Luray incorporated as a city in 1904.

                                               

Macksville, Kansas

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.00 square mile 2.59 km 2, all of it land. The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and mild and cool winters. According to the system of climate c ...

                                               

Madison, Kansas

Madison was founded in 1872 northwest of the present town. In 1879, the town was relocated to its present site when the Howard Branch of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad was built from Emporia to Moline. The first building was the home of ...

                                               

Mahaska, Kansas

Mahaska was founded in 1887 by L. Bonham. It was likely named for Chief Mahaska. The first post office in Mahaska was established in December 1887. In 1854, of the sixth principal Meridian or 40th parallel, about 1 km North-West of the present da ...

                                               

Manchester, Kansas

In 1887, Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway built a branch line from Neva 3 miles west of Strong City through Manchester to Superior, Nebraska. In 1996, the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway merged with Burlington Northern Railroad and ren ...

                                               

Manter, Kansas

Manter is located at 37°31′27″N 101°53′4″W 37.524205, -101.884462. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.24 square miles 0.62 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Maple Hill, Kansas

Maple Hill was founded about 1882. It was named from a grove of maple trees growing upon an elevation. In 1887, the Chicago, Kansas and Nebraska railway built a main line of a topic, through Maple Hill Herington. Broke out three fires in maple hi ...

                                               

Mapleton, Kansas

Mapleton was originally called Eldora, and under the latter name was founded in 1857. A post office was established under the name Mapleton in 1857. The first store in Mapleton opened in 1858. In 1861, the name of the town was officially changed ...

                                               

Matfield Green, Kansas

For many millennia, the Great Plains of North America was inhabited by nomadic Native Americans. The historic Native American tribes of Kansas are many, including the Kansa, or "Wind People," from whom the name of the state is derived. Also inclu ...

                                               

Mayetta, Kansas

Mayetta was laid out and platted in 1886. It was named for Mary Henrietta Lunger, the young daughter of the towns founder who had died some time before. The first post office in Mayetta was established in February 1886.

                                               

Mayfield, Kansas

Mayfield is a city in Sumner County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 113, which is the same as the previous 2000 census.

                                               

McCracken, Kansas

McCracken is located at 38°35′6″N 99°34′19″W 38.585088, -99.571981. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.95 square miles 2.46 km 2, all of it land. The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid su ...

                                               

McCune, Kansas

The first post office in McCune was established in August, 1878. Mccune was laid out in 1879. It was named after its founder, Isaac Mccune. Mccune was incorporated as a city in 1881. Mccune was located on the St. Louis–San Francisco Railways OP P ...

                                               

McDonald, Kansas

McDonald is located at 39°47′7″N 101°22′14″W 39.785196, -101.370435. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.22 square miles 0.57 km 2, all land. According to the system of climate classification Köppen, MacDo ...

                                               

McFarland, Kansas

McFarland was established in June 1887 by S.H. Fairfield. It was named after J. N. McFarland, a Topeka, Kansas judge and member of the town company. In 1887, the Chicago, Kansas and Nebraska railway built a main line from Topeka through Mcfarland ...

                                               

McLouth, Kansas

McLouth was founded in the 1880s. It was named for Amos McLouth, the original owner of the town site. The first post office in McLouth was established in may 1882.

                                               

Melvern, Kansas

Melvern was laid out in 1870. It was named after the Malvern Hills, in Worcestershire, England. The first post office in Melvern was established in June 1870.

                                               

Menlo, Kansas

Menlo was located on the Union Pacific Railroad as it existed at the time. The rail line subsequently moved south, and the tracks through Menlo have been removed. A post office was opened in Menlo in 1888 and remained in operation until it was di ...

                                               

Meriden, Kansas

Meriden is located at 39°11.4′N 95°34.1′W 39.1890, -95.5684. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.79 square miles 2.05 km 2, of which 0.78 square miles 2.02 km 2 is land and 0.01 square miles 0.03 km 2 is w ...

                                               

Milan, Kansas

Milan is located at 37°15′25″N 97°40′29″W 37.257057, -97.674712. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.13 square miles 0.34 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Mildred, Kansas

Mildred was founded in 1907 by Sam Dermott for the Great Western Cement Company. The city was named for the daughter of J. W. Wagner a local industrialist, and the president of the cement company. For much of the twentieth century, the city was s ...

                                               

Milford, Kansas

Milford is located at 39°10′24″N 96°54′42″W 39.173454, -96.911650. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.59 square miles 1.53 km 2, all of it land. The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid sum ...

                                               

Minneola, Kansas

Minneola was founded in 1887. Its name is a combination of that of Minnie Davis and Ola Watson, the wives of pioneer settlers. A post office first established in 1885 in Appleton an extinct town was moved to Minneola in 1888.

                                               

Mission Hills, Kansas

Mission Hills is a city in Johnson County, Kansas, United States, and part of the Kansas City Metropolitan Area. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 3.498. The east city limits is the Kansas-Missouri state line at State Line Road. Miss ...

                                               

Mission Woods, Kansas

Mission Woods is a city in Johnson County, Kansas, United States, and part of the Kansas City Metropolitan Area. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 178.

                                               

Mission, Kansas

Mission is a city in Johnson County, Kansas, United States, and part of the Kansas City Metropolitan Area. The population was 9.323 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Moline, Kansas

Moline is a city in Elk County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 371. Moline is located in south central Elk County at the intersection of U.S. Highway 160 and K-99. Moline is well known as the home of Kansass ...

                                               

Montezuma, Kansas

Montezuma is located at 37°35′43″N 100°26′32″W 37.595353, -100.442205. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.76 square miles 1.97 km 2, all of it land. According to the system of climate classification Köppe ...

                                               

Moran, Kansas

Moran had its start in the year 1881 by the building of the Missouri Pacific Railroad through that territory. The Kansas City Pacific (later known as the Kansas City subdivision of the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad built through the town.

                                               

Morganville, Kansas

Morganville was founded in 1870. It was named for its founder, Ebenezer Morgan. The first store in Morganville opened in 1871. Post offices in Morganville was originally called Della. It was established in 1871. Morganville was located on the Chi ...

                                               

Morland, Kansas

The community was originally called Fremont when it was founded in 1884 and named after John C. Fremont. In order to avoid repetition with another Kansas community named "Fremont", the name was changed to Kalula in 1888, and was changed yet again ...

                                               

Morrill, Kansas

Morrill was laid out in 1878 when the St. Joseph and Western Railroad was extended to that point. It was named for Kansas governor Edmund Needham Morrill.

                                               

Morrowville, Kansas

Morrowville was laid out and platted in 1884 when it was certain that the Missouri and Burlington Railroad would be extended to that point. It was named for its founder, James C. Morrow. The first post office in Morrowville was established in 188 ...

                                               

Moscow, Kansas

The settlement of Moscow was established in 1887. One tradition says the community was named for a member of the expedition de SOTOS, Maestro de Campo field commander Luis de Moscoso. In the settlement of the name registration was a series of mis ...

                                               

Mound Valley, Kansas

Mound Valley was founded in 1869. It was named from mound-like hills in the vicinity. The first post office in mound valley, was established in may 1870. Mound valley was incorporated as a city in 1871. The city was a stop on the Missouri-Kansas- ...

                                               

Mount Hope, Kansas

Mount Hope is located at 37°52′9″N 97°39′53″W 37.869198, -97.664663. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.48 square miles 3.83 km 2, of which, 1.45 square miles 3.76 km 2 is land and 0.03 square miles 0.08 ...

                                               

Mulberry, Kansas

Mulberry was founded about 1875 as a mining town. Mulberry was named from a grove of wild mulberry trees that stood on a former Indian camping and hunting site, where the town was laid out. The first post office at mulberry called mulberry Grove ...

                                               

Mullinville, Kansas

The first post office at Mullinville was established in September 1884. Mullinville was founded in 1886. He was named for Alfred A. Mullin, a pioneer settler and storekeeper.

                                               

Munden, Kansas

Munden is located at 39°54′48″N 97°32′19″W 39.913471, -97.538715. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.20 square miles 0.52 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Muscotah, Kansas

Muscotah is a city in Atchison County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 176. Muscotah was named for the Kickapoo Native American word for "prairie"

                                               

Narka, Kansas

Narka was founded in 1887. It was named for the daughter of a railroad employee. The first post office in Narka was established in November 1887. Narka was incorporated as a city in 1894.

                                               

Nashville, Kansas

Nashville was founded about 1888, serving as a station on the Santa Fe Railway. It was named after Nashville, Tennessee. The first post office at Nashville was established in August 1887. The independent newspaper, Nashville Journal was establish ...

                                               

Natoma, Kansas

Natoma was established in 1888, named after an American Indian railroad employee by a railroad officer. The name means "new born." The first post office had opened under the name Tapley in December 1878, but changed its name to Natoma in July 189 ...

                                               

Neodesha, Kansas

Neodesha is a city in Wilson County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 2.486. The name is derived from the Osage Indian word, Ni-o-sho-de, and is translated as The-Water-Is-Smoky-With-Mud.

                                               

Neosho Falls, Kansas

Neosho Falls was founded in 1857, making it the oldest town and first county seat in Woodson County. It was named from the Neosho River, on which it is situated. The first post office in Neosho Falls was established in May 1857. The city served a ...

                                               

Netawaka, Kansas

Netawaka was founded in 1866. Netawaka is a Pottawatami Native American name meaning "grand view". The first post office in Netawaka was established in January 1868.

                                               

New Albany, Kansas

New Albany is located at 37°34′4″N 95°56′22″W 37.567805, -95.939453. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.23 square miles 0.60 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

New Cambria, Kansas

New Cambria was named after Cambria County, Pennsylvania, the native home of an early settler. The first post office in new Cambria was established in June 1873.

                                               

New Strawn, Kansas

The city of New Strawn came about when John Redmond Reservoir was built in the early 1960s, causing the original town of Strawn to be claimed by the Army Corps of Engineers for flood area. The old city of Strawn is usually available for explorati ...

                                               

Niotaze, Kansas

Niotaze probably derived its name from Niota, Illinois or Niota, Tennessee. Circa 1910, Niotaze had a population of 317. At that time it was an important moment for the delivery of grain, livestock and produce at the junction of two railroads.